Art Washes from the Soul the Dust of Everyday Life. Pablo Picasso




Gallery

Friday, January 14, 2011

Grandpa and Joey

"Grandpa, Can You Fix It?" is a 20"x24" canvas painting my aunt commissioned for a Christmas gift for my cousin Jennifer.




Joey, who is now a junior in high school, was just a little tyke when the photo this painting is based on was snapped. Grandpa has been gone since November 2008. I grew up living close enough to my grandparents that walking back and forth to their house was a very common thing, even multiple times a day. The photo this was based on just depicts how we all remember Grandpa: stopping in his tracks to fix whatever was broken.

There were a few times I wasn't sure I could finish the painting. Tears would be streaming down my face and I'd have to stop. At one point I told my husband, this is crazy. He said, no, not crazy, it just makes you remember your Grandpa vividly.

So Grandpa, this one's in memory of you, in honor of all your grandchildren who love and miss you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment